Elections & Voting

Legal Publications

What to Expect at the Polling Place Video

Where do I Vote?

Voting on Election Day is done at the Garden Valley Town Hall - located at the corner of State Highway 121 and Townhouse Road.  The address is W13760 State Highway 121, Alma Center WI  54611. Hours of voting begin at 7:00 AM and end at 8:00 PM on Election Day.

New WI Voter Photo ID Rules - Major Changes

The Town of Garden Valley urges voters  to plan now to make sure they have an acceptable photo ID to vote.

Most voters already have one of the types of photo ID required to vote.

On Election Day, voters must show one of the following photo IDs before they can cast a ballot:

  • Wisconsin Driver License
  • Wisconsin State ID Card
  • Military ID Card
  • Veterans ID Card
  • U.S. Passport Book or Card

* These IDs are still valid if expired after the date of the most recent general election.

The following forms of photo ID are also acceptable:

  • A Certificate of Naturalization, within two years of issuance
    Driver License Receipt issued by the WI DOT, within 45 days of issuance
  • ID issued by a federally recognized Wisconsin Indian Tribe
  • A photo ID issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college, or technical college along with an enrollment verification document. Valid for two years from date of issuance. (Please contact your local clerk, the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board or your college or university for specifications)
    * An acceptable photo ID is not required to include a current address.If you do not have a valid Wisconsin Driver License or State ID you can receive a free State ID from your local DMV if you specifically request a free ID for voting purposes.  If you do not have a birth certificate, the DMV can help with that, too.  Please contact your local DVM for more information.

Absentee Voting

During in-person absentee voting, voters must present photo ID just like on Election Day. In-person absentee voting begins the fourth Monday before the election, and must end at 5 p.m. or the close of business, whichever is later, the Friday before the election.  Voting is done at the town hall.  Contact your clerk.

When voters request an absentee ballot by mail, they must include a photocopy of their photo ID with the request, or the ballot cannot be mailed.  However, voters who are “indefinitely confined” because of age, illness, infirmity or disability and voters in care facilities do not need a photo ID.  Instead, the absentee witness verifies the voter’s identity.  Active members of the U.S. Armed Services who are away from home are also exempt from the photo ID requirement.  Please contact your local clerk’s office for more information.

For specific questions on how the new Voter ID law affects you please contact the Town Hall Office at 715-964-6410.

Voters are also encouraged to visit the Wisconsin Elections Commission Photo ID website, www.bringit.wisconsin.gov for information about the new law.

How do I vote absentee?

To request an absentee ballot, go to myvote.gov, click on the regular voter option and select "Information about voting." Next, select the question "I want to vote Absentee" and follow the directions.

You can also make an appointment with the clerk and we'll guide you on your options at that point.

The request for an absentee ballot to be mailed can also be made by sending an email to the town clerk at [email protected].   The email must contain your name as written on your driver's license, Town address, election(s) for which you want absentee ballots, address to send the ballot to if a different location than your home address, and attachment of an acceptable photo ID.  The email should have an electronic signature for each party (if more than one) requesting absentee ballots.

Absentee Request Application Form from the Government Accountability Board (GAB)

Absentee ballots can be requested for one calendar year at a time.  Failure to return a ballot will void an existing multi-election absentee ballot request.  A blank ballot (no votes) which is returned is counted as a voted ballot.  Mailed ballots must be postmarked on or before Election Day.

How do I know what is on the ballot?

Sample ballots are available on the Town Website approximately three weeks before each election.  Sample ballots are posted online and at the Town Hall.

How do I register to vote?

It's easy to register to vote*.  Anyone who is at least 18 years of age, is a U.S. citizen, has lived at their current address for ten (10) days and has not lost the right to vote can register and vote.

The easiest way to achieve this is to go to the website myvote.gov and enter information there.  Print the form, sign, and bring/mail it to the Town Hall.  You can also get a form from the Town Hall and complete it and return it to the Town Hall.  One qualification to be aware of: registration must be in person during the three weeks ahead of an election with proof of residency to accompany the voter registration form.  Call for information if you are in that situation.

*You also must provide proof of residency.  For more information, go to myvote.gov and select the information about voting tab. Feel free to come to the Town Hall at W13760 State Highway 121, Alma Center WI  54611 by appointment and we will be glad to help you with any questions.

Name or address changed since the last election?

Any name or address changes (even if in the same jurisdiction) require the submission of a new voter registration form to the Town.  Please bring proof of residency with you as you make this change.  (Go to MyVote.wi.gov to view information about what constitutes proof of residence.)

Are you in the military, living overseas, hospitalized or confined to a residence?

There are special rules for these voters in these situations.  To read more about these voting categories, go to My Vote Wisconsin.  If you have questions, the Town of Middleton will help you get answers.

Want more information about elections and voting?

The best sources for information are:

MyVote.gov which has a comprehensive 'Information about Voting' section under the Regular Voter option.

Wisconsin Elections Commission where using the drop down menus for 'Voters' and 'Elections' contain excellent information about voting in Wisconsin.